My First Month Of Mindful Money

You may have noticed the radio silence when it comes to this blog; I had a few setbacks on my personal finance journey which kind of took the wind out of my sails when it came to documenting things here.

But we're a month in (I'm running things from payday to payday in this aspect) so I thought I'd share with you all how things have been going.

The good news?  I ended the month without going into my overdraft!!  Going overdrawn isn't something that happens every month, but it was definitely becoming a more regular occurrence which I just wasn't comfortable with.

But whilst I didn't go overdrawn I also didn't manage to save quite as much as I'd hoped.  I'll be publishing a post very soon detailing the first steps I've taken in managing my money so for the meantime I'll just say that I transferred a little more than usual over into my savings account and did so at the beginning of the month before I had a chance to spend it.  I also took my own advice on a few occasions which has meant that my savings balance is looking a lot healthier than it has in a long time.

I didn't manage to track every single purchase made throughout the month and there were certainly some expenditures which I hadn't budgeted for.  I'd forgotten about Father's Day and treated myself a couple of times throughout the month using the excuse of it being my birthday.  I'm adamant this won't be a monthly occurrence though and am focusing much more on only buying necessities.  However, I'd also been generous with the amount I'd budgeted for social events so these extra expenses kind of evened out.

All in all I'm pleased with the steps I've taken and progress I've made.  I'm more determined than ever to get out of this financial funk and hope this motivation will continue!

Comments